Thursday, March 04, 2010

Farewell to a Friend

It was with great sadness that I heard today that conservative activist and blogger Mike Netherland passed away suddenly. Mike was a leader in the conservative community in Anne Arundel County and pioneered the local Elephant Club's Public Square email forum long before the word blogosphere existed.

Mike's own blog, Mike's Nether Land, emobodied his no holds barred conservatism and wonderfully unique view of the world. Mike even briefly blogged about his experiences as a MARC train commuter, a cirumstance that clearly consumed too much of his time.

While Mike had his disagreements with me and a number of my RedMaryland colleagues, he was a loyal friend and true believer in the conservative cause. I can fondly remember him supporting conservative candidates (including myself) and causes without first considering what others were doing.

But, of course, Mike was much more than this. He was a loving father, husband, brother and son. We pray for his family and friends who are mourning and we share their loss.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have 1 or 2 more friends left us? Ironic that BOTH of 2 Red Maryland colleagues have dead-end blogs today? Where are they?

Greg Kline said...

Brian is migrating his personal site with some difficulty. I don't know who the other you refer to is but all our RM contributors are alive and well last time I checked.

Thank you for your concern or sorry to disappoint you, whichever applies.

Anonymous said...

The other is Martin Watcher. His site says that he is "done... for now" How cryptic!

Greg Kline said...

Since no one actually knows who Martin Watcher is I can't help you there. Curious for sure. The guy is like Batman.

Anonymous said...

Greg,
Thank you for your kind words about my son, Michael.

I still visit his blog and would like to consider continuing his work. I spent two hours yesterday trying to communicate with Google,to no avail. I would appreciate any advice you may have.
Thanks again,
Regards,
Bill Netherland